jueves, 24 de julio de 2008

Not so long ago ballroom dancing was a bit naff! It was all sequins and tight pants in Blackpool tower with Angela Rippon and a dis-spirited crowd of blue-rinsed OAPs sipping sherry. Not so any more! Ballroom dancing is now sexy, glamorous, big business and a Saturday night telly ratings winner!
Ever since I got roped into dancing in a competition for charity at Pickles Dance Studio in Magaluf earlier this year I have been hooked! I am now a massive fan and if I don't get to swirl around the dancefloor with Ian Pickles I really, really miss it! So when I heard that a chum of mine was coming to the island with one of the professional dancers from the BBC's 'Strictly Come Dancing' programme I was excited to meet him and talk tango.
Ian Waite has been a dancer since he was 10 years old. By the age of 14, he had completed all his grades and won almost every competition that he had entered. He went on to the open circuit where he achieved international success by becoming the European Youth Latin American Champion. He competed all over the world, representing England in many world and European championships. He is also 6 foot 4, drop dead gorgeous and a thoroughly nice bloke!.
On the TV show he danced with Denice Lewis, Mica Paris, Penny Lancaster and performed an unforgettable tango with Zoe Ball. So far I have only managed a sangria-shared salsa with him after a rather boozy night out with chums in Palma. However, he is here for a few days yet so I live in hope of showing him my waltz contra-check before he goes. Zoe who? Look out Ian the Penn Pasa Doble is coming to get ya!