jueves, 24 de julio de 2008

Just like Grand Mama Mia used to make!

Continuing the theme of Italians, let me introduce you to Salvatore. He is a Sicilian straight out of Hollywood casting. If you wanted someone to play a restaurant owner in a remake of the 'Godfather' you would look no further than this larger-than-life character.
Salvatore owns and runs the pizzeria and 'ristorante' La Fornace da Salvatore in El Toro and makes the best pasta I have tasted this side of Florence. He insists that I greet him with a traditional Sicilian greeting which goes something like 'Bacco les mani...ahhhhh!' It means 'I kiss your hands' and the last bit has to be done with a dramatic raising of the hands into the air as if praying to the gods.
If you go to his restaurant the first thing you have to do is have a drink....of course...next you will get delicious bread balls (still warm...his grandmother's recipe) and an equally delicious dip. I could go on and wax lyrical about the lasagne, the wines and the Amareto but I am getting hungry. Suffice to say if you want the best Italian meal on Mallorca pop down to see Salvatore in El Toro and say Laura sent you ...ahhhhhhh!