martes, 1 de julio de 2008

Mallorca weekends are even worse!


If a week on Mallorca is a long time...the weekends are even longer! Last weekend I found myself playing snooker with two top sportsman, dressed in a long frock for a posh dinner and kissing stangers after Spain won a major football tournament for the first time in 44 years.
My mum is addicted to snooker! Even Coronation Street has to make way when there is action on at the Crucible. So imagine her surprise when, minding her own business in Liverpool, she got a call from one of her heroes Jimmy White! He threatened to come round for Sunday lunch and she almost fell off her chair!
Jimmy and fellow snooker star Steven Lee where on the island to do an exhibition match and Luna radio promoted the event. Both players were great fun (despite losing a match to a twelve-year old local whizz kid called Ben!) and they had such a great time that they have both promised to come back soon.

Saturday saw an unusual event. I actually wore a dress!..and a long red one at that! The occasion was the annual summer bash for the Rotary Club of Calvia when the new president takes over his post. This year will be an exciting one with Edward Ingram at the helm and Luna radio is proud to be one of the official sponsors and supporters of this club, (which is the only English- speaking branch of Rotary in Spain.)

It was a real posh bash at a top hotel with a delicious meal and I was invited to sit at the new President's right hand side which was a great honour. Together the Rotary Club of Calvia will raise money for charities both here on Mallorca and elsewhere in the world. For more details have a nosey at http://www.rotaryclubcalvia.com/.



Sunday night Cinderella turned back into a pumpkin! The dress was back on the hanger, replaced by jeans and football shirt for Spain's clash against Germany in the euros 2008 final. Now there was no doubt about where my loyalities lay here! I have chosen to make Spain my home and Espana was written on my chest as I headed to my favourite secret bar to watch the match with some locals. I hate to brag but I predicted the correct score in the sweepstake and made the point that the only goalscorer on the night, Torres, plays for Liverpool! When the final whistle blew the whole island went completely bonkers....and for the first time in 44 years the drinks were on the house! What happened after that all a bit blurred.........