domingo, 27 de julio de 2008

More Mallorca madness.....

Life here on Mallorca does not get any more sane! After almost four years I am used to the 'quirky' nature of some of the aspects of living on this island, but every now and again I get a sharp reminder of just how nutty this place can be!
So it was last Friday night when I went with a gang of chums to Calvia village to take part in the Nit di Foc - or Night of Fire! I had warned some of my chums who were here on their holidays from the UK to expect the unexpected, wear clothes that they didn't mind getting trashed, and to use ear plugs if they were averse to loud noises, but I don't think they took me seriously. In particular one of the sons, a fourteen year old who was determined to unimpressed by everything, was in for a surprise!
Of course the fiesta was late getting going - everything takes longer than you expect on Mallorca - so it was well after 11pm when the drums started somewhere off in the distance and the first fireworks began. 'Is that it!' muttered the teenager, 'Have we waited all night for a just a few fireworks?' ...he was still unimpressed.Then he got the surprise which I knew was coming! A demon appeared from nowhere wearing a truly scary mask and carrying a screaming firework wich showered red hot sparks everywhere. The teenager began to quake!
The Nit di Foc, or Carrefoc, is an ancient Mallorca traditional fiesta which involves people dressed as demons carrying fireworks and tridents of flames accompanied by loud, insistant drumming. If you have never experienced it before it scares the beejeebers out of the stoutest heart! By the end of the parade through the town the 'teenager' was a quivering wreck and his mother was sniggering under her breath After the parade everyone headed to the town car park to cool off at the foam party!' My son thinks he's so hard...thanks for proving he's still a little boy really!' Here I had a little run in with one of the demons! He decided it would be funny to steal one of my flip flops. Clearly he had no clue he was dealing with a Scouser! I got it back and he even gave me a hug and a kiss...not such a scary demon after all! Naturally we all got very wet but at 21 degrees celcius it doesn't really matter. A great night was had by all and I'm sure my friends went back to the UK with some memories that they will never forget. You don't have to be mad to live here on Mallorca - but it sure does help!