lunes, 21 de julio de 2008

Deafening Countryside!!

Before I start let me make something very clear - I am a big fan of concrete! Being born in Liverpool, an industrial town if ever there was one where the only green space was the local corporation park, I have never really bought into the idea that the countryside is the best place to be. I appreciate that some rural areas, especially here on Mallorca, are stunningly beautiful to look at, but I have no desire to get any closer to them than a car window or the balcony of nice hotel!
Another myth is the 'peace and quiet' of the countryside. Have you ever tried sleeping in a tent? The ambient noise is deafening! Various wild (and domestic) animals bleating, crowing and bonking. Not to mention the dawn chorus which is really a dawn cacophony when the decible level goes off the scale! No, taking all things into consideration I would much prefer to snuggle down under the flightpath of Palma airport than spend a night in a field.
So it was, with some trepidation, that I ventured away from my home to a more lush and wild part of the island this weekend. I had my reasons! I was being tempted by the promise of several Italians. I feel another explantion may be needed here! Ever since my father inexplicably named me Laurentia (no one else has been called that in any school in Liverpool before or since!) I have had a strange facination with anything Italian. I am firmly convinced that I lived in Florence in a former life, I love pasta, chianti, Leonardo da Vinci, and the sound of the Italian language is enough to make me dribble in public.
So when Diane Foden, Luna Radio's correspondent in Soller, told us on Friday's breakfast show that there were lots of Italian men wondering around her home town taking part in an International Folk Festival I didnt need any more encouragement to jump in my car and head for the hills!
It didn't take long to track down the Italians. They were the cool dudes in designer sunglasses carrying accordians and chating up women! Soon they struck up a jolly tune and sang...in Italian...fabulous! But it wasn't long before they were drowned out by the drumming of the the Korean contingent and their large drums! Infact the group of charming little Korean girls were soon stealing hearts with their ever-smiling faces and graceful dancing. Just as we all got used to the unusual sound of of a steady Asian beat filling the square, it was joined by an African beat as a load of bongos started up from another team close by. Things were getting really noisy by now! If you know Soller you will now that there is a an old tram that travels from the town to the port. It passes right through the main square and at this time of year it is packed with happy holiday makers. Well the poor tram driver was having 'one of those days'! Not only could he not drive his tram through the crowd, he couldn't even make his horn heard above the dim of the Italians, Koreans, Africans and assorted nationalities who were drumming, singing, strumming and dancing in an orgy of exotic sound.
After about two hours I suspected my ears were about to bleed so I made my excuses and left, reluctantly saying 'ciao' to my new Italian friends. Surprisingly it was not them, but the delightful Korean ladies who left a lasting impression on me. They were so sweet, and smiley but give them a pair of drumsticks and they turned into creatures resembling Animal from the Muppet Show!
I had a great time in Soller and will never forget the sights...and the sounds...of the International Folk Festival. However it was a relief to get back to the relative peace of a radio studio with only loud pop to disturb me!!